Garden update - June 20th

Thankfully it's been raining all week. We so need the rain and everything is green & growing! I finally got the green pepper plants in the ground. They were just taking over the one pot & only planted the big ones (5 I think) in 2 clusters. Two or three have little buds coming in ... can't wait! The tomato plants are getting tall & both have about 6 buds or so. I'm a little concerned as the bottom leaves are turning yellow which happens every year but I don't know if this is a bad sign or not? Will have to keep an eye on them. I think I'm going to leave them in the 2 pots they are in now ... again, I don't know what the heck I'm doing! The basil, mint & cilantro is out of control. I am so glad I left these in pots. The mint is unbelievable. When I got it, I thought it was scraggly and going to die a slow death. NOPE - it's lucious. Unfortunately, no one else in the house (especially dh) likes mint all that much. I've been putting all 3 in my salads daily to use as I trim and sharing with my co-worker (she gets a weekly bowl of all 3). Need to research & see if and how I can preserve the mint & cilantro. The lettuce has suddenly taken off too. I know this all from the rain. This is the first week I felt ok with cutting some for salads. It's pretty tasty stuff but of course, gourmet, not the usual iceburg and romaine! Yummm. Green onions are still growing tall & need trimmed a few times a week. The sunflowers (3) are doing well. One has a large head and the other is getting ready to open. 3rd is just hanging out still. Dd went ahead and planted more seeds, WITHOUT supervision (heck, she's 17) and well, I told her a foot apart, she barely placed them in the soil 6 inches apart, then it rains (floods) and they have started coming up already, but we are going to have to replant them. They are too close to the grass and the lawn boys will just weed wack them right off. They don't pay attention. All the more reason to have ds start cutting the grass. Oh well. So yes, so far, I'm happy with the results. As I'm sure everyone has been reading, gardening and growing your own food is now all the rage. It should be and it should NOT be the latest thing. I don't get that at all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs