Cuban Bread - easy recipe!

I have a great cook book called Memories of a Cuban Kitchen. Excellent history section and all....

Anyways, we love cuban food and since I don't live all THAT close to Miami to drive to the little cuban dives, I cook it at home when the urge strikes ...

One thing that I love (surprise!) is Cuban Bread. And this recipe is so dang easy ... had I been thinking AHEAD, I would have made this on Sunday for the Cubanos ...

1 pkg yeast
2 cups lukewarm water
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tbs sugar
6 to 7 cups flour, sifted (do not ask me WHY)

Dissolve the yeast in the water and add salt and sugar, stir thoroughly.

Add flour, one cup at a time, beating it in with wooden spoon or use dough hook on low speed. Add enough flour to make a stiff dough.

When mixed, shape into ball, place in a grease bowl, grease top and cover with dry towel to let rise til double in size.

Turn dough out on lightly floured board and shape into 2 long french style loaves OR round italian style. Up to you :)  Arrange on baking sheets sprinkled heavily with cornmeal. Let rise 5 minutes.

Slash tops in 2 or 3 places, brush with water and place them in a cold oven. Set the oven to 400 degrees and place a pan of boiling water on the bottom of oven. Bake loaves til they are crusty and done, 40 to 45 minutes.

This is so going to be on my baking list this weekend. It stinks though since we are HOT here, 80's (87 yesterday!) and it's ONLY freakin March ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs