Making Do

Hmmm...I think I use this title quite frequently, don't I? Well, it's FRIDAY (everyone sing THE SONG but don't yell at me!) and that means two things right off the top of my head:

1. Last Friday of the Summertime Pantry Challenge (which I'm continuing on into August because we apparently have way more food than I thought) and ...

2. Jessica over at Life as Mom has her Frugal Friday link up happening!

So. Let's see.  What have we been making do with? Alot actually. But the one thing that I'm most thrilled with is fries.

French fries. Uh huh.I admit it. We buy the frozen SEASONED fries. The ones that sent my BIL through the roof because he HATES them and everyone knows that. Well, apparently we DO now :) Did you know that they are basically battered? Ummm...yeah. And then we fry them? Uh huh.

Any hooo.....

I've seen lots of links lately for grilled fries. And golly gee, I've got a ton of taters that are just waiting patiently to be noticed and used (some have given up ever being selected and have died a slow death ... they rest in peace now with fellow trash stuff) ...

Easy to do, cheap and pretty dang tasty to boot!

1 medium size tater per person. Unless you have Animals like me, then maybe consider 2 medium taters for that person
Olive oil (I really did use the good stuff)
salt

Peel the taters (if desired, I did) Cut in quarters and then into smaller wedges. The key is to make them thinner but more importantly, the same size so they will all cook together ...

Toss the cut potatoes into a bowl of cold water so that they are covered. Let them sit for about 15 minutes or so (I've seen some say hot water, not sure why) ... drain and rinse off starch. Toss back in the bowl and drizzle with oil and sprinkle (generously or not, your call) with salt. Toss to coat.

Fire up the grill, put your grill tray/pan on the grill to get it hot too. I kept the grill more towards a medium hot and cooked them for about 20 minutes, mixing them up every time I thought I got a smell of fries.



Once they meet your taste test (sampling is the only way I could tell if they were ready!) remove from heat, salt a little more and serve up!


These were surprisingly good and will definitely do it again!

Comments

  1. We love to make simple fries like this, but in the oven and with cooking spray! Yum! As good as the ones you get in restaurants. We will have to try the grill...and thanks for the tip about soaking them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs